Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pink, Pink Party Fun

  Who are these luscious-looking gals?  They're gingerbread ladies and they were part of the fun at a recent charity event that I attended here in Penang.  It was called "Fun in the Sun," and the idea was to raise money to support a pair of charities here that help women with cancer.  And they certainly did do that!


    These little cookies were part of the entertainment.  Each table was given two gingerbread men that we had to turn into gingerbread ladies with pink icing.  (I did the one on the right, who looks a lot like me, I daresay.)  The Japanese gals at my table did the one on the left, which is why she's called "Geisha Girl."  We didn't win, but we had fun trying!


   The event was held at the ultra- fancy E&O hotel, which was an immediate draw right there.  The ladies who attended were the real upper-crust of Penang ladies' social society and virtually all of them were wearing pink.  (Except me, because I don't have any pink clothes whatsoever.)


    Th ballroom was beautifully decorated, all in shades of pink and white.  There was a raised stage on which they had a very extensive and exciting fashion show.  The models were mostly local gals--our own friends and acquaintances.  It was fun to see people you actually know all decked out in gobs of make-up and hairstyles that are far from what they normally wear.  The clothes were the kind you'd love to be able to wear, but either couldn't afford or couldn't find the courage to wear--at least not ME!


    The food tables at the back of the ballroom were just amazing.  For a mere US $16 (1,200 yen and 10 pounds), we could get, essentially, any breakfast food we wanted.  Freshly-cooked omelets, pastries, fruit galore, cold cuts, hot dishes, pink sweets of all kinds, and much more.  The event lasted from 9:00 to noon, so some people (like ME!) had lunch there as well as breakfast.  Wher I come from, that spread would have cost at least double what we paid.


   They had all sorts of silent auction offerings, too, mainly 2-or-3-night get-away weekends at various hotels or dinners in resort hotels.  There were merchandise offerings, as well, like Persian carpets, hampers (baskets) of beauty products, jewelry, artwork and such.  I didn't bid on anything, but many ladies did.  I understand that the silent auction is a huge money-maker and I can see why, since it's an in-kind donation and whatever people pay for it is all profit. 


       Last I heard, they'd raised RM 40,000 ( about US $12,675  or 8,000 British pounds)  We all had a wonderful time, too.  This isn't exactly what I thought I'd be doing in my retirement years, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss it!


        

No comments:

Post a Comment