Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back in Colorful Penang

Mall decs for Hari Raya
       Well, it's been six months now, and I'm back in Penang for a while.  When I'm hereI can't help blogging because Penang is just so stimulating to the senses, especially visually.  It was the Hari Raya holiday when I arrived, so all the malls were decked out in holiday splendor.  Pictured here are the huge pendant lanterns hanging multiple stories down in Gurney Plaza.  The newly-opened Gurney Paragon didn't have any noticeable decorations displayed.  I suppose they were busy just trying to get their outlets open in time for the holidays.  No matter how well they do, however, I think the private eight-unit condominium across the street will give them a run for their money.  
And what are these gorgeous flowers?





  As always, I was transfixed by the riot of color that Penang boasts in every aspect of life, no matter how mundane.  Gorgeous tropical flowers are a given, of course.  I believe "riotous" would be the appropriate word to describe these, whatever they are.





What lucky folks live here, I wonder?
    Penang is known for  its architecture, along with Malacca.  It's the eye candy that keeps all of us visitors and expats taking photos right and left.  This home -- and it really is occupied by ordinary folks -- is just one example of glorious color.  Even the flip-flops outside the door match the color scheme.  So does the mysterious orange "N" up on the wall.  What's that all about, I wonder?

    Even the most ordinary things in Penang are unintentionally colorful, like these LPG canisters. 


    When I'm in Japan, I feel reluctant to wear bright colors or my usual large jewelry.  For one thing, I have nowhere to wear it.  For another, I already stick out like a sore thumb without attracting the attention of the Japanese folks around me, most of whom are clad in black, beige, gray and other subdued colors. But when I get to Penang, the colorful clothing all around seems to grant permission to wear vibrant hues myself. I don't have the figure for a rainbow-hued dress like this, but I'd wear it if I could!
Only for tall gals!
Eat, drink & be colorful.
   Malaysian people certainly aren't shy about wearing bright colors, and drinking colorful drinks, for that matter.  She looks modest and attractive, don't you think? 

    Yes, Penang is enough to inspire a person to put color onto a canvas.  Now I understand how Van Gogh, Matisse and such artists just couldn't resist the inspiration to reproduce the color that was all around them.
   I can't paint, but I can photograph, and I will
How could anyone resist?


No comments:

Post a Comment