Thursday, September 5, 2013

Dog Abuse or People Abuse?

  Does this little dog in a little cage seem like he's abused?  Of course not.  But if you keep a dog this size in a cage this size outside in the Malaysian heat with just some cardboard on top for shade for 12 to 15 hours a day, would that be animal abuse? 

   If you left this little lapdog out in this cage during a torrential rainstorm for hours at a time, would that be dog abuse? 

 I think so.  And if that little, poorly-socialized dog barked and barked and barked almost every minute of those 12-15 hours he was penned up, would that be considered noise pollution or "people abuse"?  Again, I think so.

     Sorry to make this a personal lament, but I can't help myself.  And apparently I can't help the constantly-caged little dogs next door, either.    
  
     The backstory:  There's a social club / eatery right next door to our condo complex.  From the day they began renovating it two years ago, they've kept a dog on-site to act as a watchdog. I could understand that, as they worked alone far into the night getting the place ready for customers. The dog they had then was something like an Akita, so I really could believe that it was a guard dog or watchdog serving a purpose. 

     But when they brought in two little caged lapdogs, separated their cages, and let them bark non-stop from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 or later at night. . . . well, these little doggies clearly weren't functioning as guard dogs because they barked (I should say "bark') all the time!

    Usually I didn't care too much, though I should have.  Two Christmases ago, I did beg the owners in a note hand-delivered over the wall to keep their dog from barking long enough for us to enjoy our family holiday dinner in peace and quiet.  They did comply with that request.  

        However, recently I've had surgery that has kept me close to home, so I've been working online with the TV off.  With the incessant yipping from over the wall, I can't concentrate and I can't escape, either!

    I've called all the authorities I can think of, but each one listens politely and then hands me off to another authority by giving me a phone number to call.  I don't think phone calls are going to do the trick, somehow. As soon as I am able, I'm going to hop on my motorbike and head down to the municipal offices to plead with someone in person.  

   My concerns are many.  On a humanitarian level, I do believe this is a form of animal abuse.  I also believe that it's legitimately a form of noise pollution.  In most developed countries it would be.  Here, maybe not.

   On another level, I think the incessant barking is causing undue stress to all of us living or working just across the fence from these poor, unfortunate dogs.  Our condo office manager has gone over there recently to ask them to make the dogs be quiet because he, himself, couldn't think enough to do his work.  So I know it's not just me.

   On a purely financial level. . . . those who own property in this condo and especially in our block may well suffer because our units are unrentable or unsellable with this going on year in and year out.  Who would rent a unit or continue to do so with a public nuisance like this going on for weeks, months, even years?  

   I wouldn't if I didn't have to.  I wonder what can be done?  I'm willing to try almost anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment