Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sat. Night in the City (George Town)

Another street mural in George Town
     Another day, another street and another set of discoveries and new experiences.  The city is in the throes of the George Town Festival, which means that there's almost always something going on out there on the streets.  Here's another of those murals that keep popping up all over town.

Start 'em young!
      Today I went down Acheh Street and found all kinds of things to photograph.  There was a gamelan display and a really young boy trying it out.  An older lad was patiently showing him how to play it.  And there was another musical performance happening at the mosque next door.  I guess you'd call it a boys' choir, except they were chanting the Quran, I assume.
Boys reciting the Quran to music


       

 
Boots for bound feet, or so he told me.
       
     Then I stumbled into Ben's Vintage Toy Museum.  Anybody who knows me is aware that I like old stuff, though I don't live amongst a bunch of antiques.  So this shop was interesting to me, not only for the toys, but for the other stuff, like the pair of performer's shoes for a person with bound feet.  Now those I would have bought if they'd been for sale!  











Anybody can drive in Penang!
     




     

        On the way home, I saw this couple getting their wedding photos done.  By the way, they're standing in front of a bank, not a church, and the wedding itself will be held at some other time and place.

   So much for not seeing the bride until she walks down the aisle!    

No comments:

Post a Comment