Thursday, July 28, 2011

My work there is done!

Well, sighs of relief all around! I've left Illinois and moved on to an even hotter place! Now I'm down in Missouri, where the temps today are likely to be around 98 degrees Farenheit. (I think that's right around 37 degrees Celcius.) What a pain!

They haven't had any rain here for two months now, and all are suffering, from birds in the back yards, to farmers and their crops & livestock, to outdoor activity places like ball parks and county fairs, where it's too hot to be enjoyable. Air-conditioned places like movie theaters and public libraries are doing booming business, as you'd imagine.

I was sad to leave my family behind and move on to the next leg of this Stateside trip. well, maybe not toooo sad, truth be told. I think on that last last day up in Illinois I suffered from heat stroke or heat prostration right there inside the house. Or maybe it was simple dehydration. Whatever it was, I didn't feel normal for two days thereafter.

It happened, i think, because we were all working terribly hard trying to put the house back together after the flooring guy and his assistant had finished their work. Of course after laying the new wood flooring in two rooms and carpeting in most of the others, they put the big furniture back in place. But the small stuff--oh, boy! Anyway, it's done now and the place looks and feels great. Mom and Dad are still in shock over the blitz that happened in their normally-quite-peaceful home, but they'll soon get used to it. And I'm thrilled that I was able to see it all come to fruition.

Down here at my friend Theresa's place, I'd expected to be busy, too, and I did come to help her with a big business commitment. But I didn't expect to go straight from the airport and plunge headlong into her own redecorating project. But this is a whole different kind of redecorating because Theresa is a professional seamstress who makes her living from producing beautiful things. So, she's got a game plan in place already and she's making the curtains and reupholstering the chair we bought yesterday. More on that in another post. But shame on me if I don't get pictures into the next few blogs, now that I don't have to scurry down to Burger King to use their free Wi-Fi every time I want to communicate with folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment