Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs!

     Are there more signs here than in Japan, or is it just my imagination?  I think there are, or maybe I just didn't notice the Japanese ones as much because I couldn't read most of them.  If I recall correctly, Japan seemed to have more "verbal signage" than here.  There were announcements about escalator safety, train platform safety, bus riding safety, and more.  (The Japanese are a very cautious people overall!) 


 


In my own country, signs tend to be more brusque and to the point: "Out of Order," for example.  Here the signs seem to be more apologetic, like this one about a restroom being renovated.


      The signs here that seem to be the most serious are those
about what's "Halal" and "Non-Halal."  They're everywhere and they're important!  But when it comes to religion, I guess things often are.


    But the signs I find most inexplicable are these two outside a food outlet at a nearby mall.  Malaysia is a country that censors like crazy.  The number of "bleeps" and "pixilations" in TV shows is downright irritating.  Whole chunks of dialog are removed from TV movies.  And yet, the censors must have been looking the other way (or have been totally clueless) when they let these two ads slip through.






   Well, I just hope this blog post prolonged YOUR satisfaction and that EVERY INCH was a delight to read!


No comments:

Post a Comment